Attention, Empire Citizens!
This article must be worked on to expand, correct or cite its contents. Please contact and join the Crusade to help us with it!
Not to be confused with Eltharion.
Eltharin, the language of the Elves, is incredibly complex in structure and massive in vocabulary, fabled in High Elf culture as being a devolved and very simplified version of the language spoken by the Godlike beings the High Elves remember as the Old Ones. In truth, it is a simplified version of the Elves’ arcane language, Anoqeyån, which is the closest surviving mortal language to the words spoken by the Old Ones.[1a] The original Eltharin has since fractured into several dialects, with only scholars studying the original "pure" Eltharin.
The ancient runescript of the High Elves is the most refined form of writing in the world. For thousands of years the High Elves have developed their runes and signs so they could be used to store their accumulated knowledge and safeguard their songs and history for future generations to read.[7a]
High Elves frequently decorate their standards, weapons and armour with runes. The runes used in war often represent the pride and might of the High Elves, but also remind them of the noble principles of Elven warfare. Many High Elf standards are magical and their runes form a glowing, swirling pattern that creates otherworldly visions to embolden the High Elves and terrify their foes. Likewise, shields and even the robes of individual warriors or mages are frequently adorned with runes, either magical or mundane. For a High Elf there is great spiritual value in bearing a rune that proclaims loyalty, or threatens death to the enemies of Ulthuan.[7a]
- Aesanar - "Sons of Anar".[4a]
- Aeskhaine - "Sons of Khaine".
- Aethyr - Winds of Magic.
- Arhain - Shadows, night, stealth, or perfidiousness.[5e]
- Aroth - Fortress, courage, taciturnity.
- Asrai - Wood Elves.
- Asur - High Elves, the Eternal Flame, Mark of Asuryan, symbol of rebirth and lordship.
- Autarii - Druhir term for the Blackspine Shades.
- Avalu - Fires, fortitude, the Mark of Vaul.
- Cadaith - Grace, power, music of the stars.[5d]
- Caladai - Symbol of the line of kings, the dragons of flame.
- Ceyl - Law, order, justice, passion, sword that draws blood.
- Charoi - Strength, ferocity, mane of hair.
- Cynath - Chill, death, silence, loneliness.
- Cython - The serpent, wisdom, knowledge, futility, symbol of Lileath.
- Dalakoi - "Strength against Death", Druhir term for the long mail shirt usually worn under a breastplate.[6b]
- Danoi - Sleep, peace, lethargy.
- Darlioth - Fearlessness, Symbol of the Mirai, corrupt harvest.
- Daroir - Remembrance, memory, the strength of stones.
- Dassoir - Scrying, sight, forbidden knowledge.
- Denla - Freedom, fulfillment, emptiness.
- Drannach - "Sky-Piercer", spears used by the Dark Elves.[6a]
- Drathro - Sinister, black-hearted, unwoken heroism.
- Drome - The Underworld Stair, descent, inevitability.
- Dromui - Hope, ascent, the Heavenward Stairs.
- Druchii - Dark Elves.
- Eanith - Honour, burden, contest of wills.
- Eddu - Pain, longing, determination.
- Edra - Laughter, the cruelty of fate.
- Eldoir - Flight, true aim, skyward sight.
- Elrith - The forge, spark of the anvil, boldness
- Elthin Arvan - name for the Old World.
- Elthrai - Doom, inexorable fate, hope.
- Elui - Ending or denial.
- Endri - Ennui, endlessness, steadfast loyalty.
- Enthlai - Concordance, twins, war without end.
- Estroi - The Trident, war at sea, defence against invasion.
- Galri - Destiny entwined, sorrow, joy.
- Garior - Darkness, gloom, strength of ancient days.
- Ghlaith - "Spineblade", an archaic weapon used by dark elf nobles in ritual duels.[6b]
- Hadri - Ships, exploration, the endless voyage.
- Hanor - The Season of Rain, boldness, ingress.
- Harathoi - Youth, boundless energy, jealousy.[5b]
- Harvoi - Music, song, eternity of joy.
- Histo - Plenty, dominance, the Golden Age.
- Horinar - Trade, treaty, corruption.
- Ildyr - The Chained Dragon, duty, obedience.
- Ildra - Expediency, the balance restored.
- Indrast - The heavens awoken, fate fulfilled.
- Indrion - The heavens, portent, doom of mortals.
- Isalt - Watchfulness, Mark of Ladrielle, the guard's duty.
- Ismuir - Mists, cloud, the secret paths.
- Issth - The Serpent of Light, dexterousness, trickery.
- Istryn - Symbol of the Arespan, alliance, common cause.
- Ithilmar - "Sky Silver", name of a metal used in elven smithing.[8a]
- Keikalla - "Spirit bells", janglers worn by Druchii nobles to ward away malevolent spirits and announce their presence on the battlefield.[6b]
- Keldri - Anguish, murder, victory, the Last Path.
- Kenui - War without end, a lingering death.
- Khaela Mensha - "The Bloody Handed", famous title belonging to Khaine, God of Murder.
- Khairith Irlean - "The Place of a Thousand Bloody Delights". Name given to a Cathayan port massacred by Witch Elves.[2a]
- Khaitan - Long silk robe worn by Druchii nobles.[6b]
- Kheitain - "Soul Eater", the lance used by Cold One Knights.[6b]
- Khelthrai - A bloody death.
- Kindra - Final victory, the death of all hope.
- Kirior - The path of leadership, formless art, knowledge of ancient days.
- Kurn-ath - Bow of Kurnous, the hunt.
- Lacoi - Might, glory, fear of death.[5a]
- Ladroi - The Season of Sun, apex, joy.
- Lakelui - "Soultaker", an archaic weapon used by dark elf nobles in ritual duels.[6b]
- Lalinoi - Herald, splendor, hubris.
- Larime - The Season of Frost, caution, egress.
- Lathain - Storm, wrath, gently falling rain which brings eternal sleep; as well as the name of Kurnous.[5e]
- Lavrai - Torrent, endless flight, death at sea.
- Lecai - Light, nobility of soul, lightness of being.
- Lithri - Vision, farsightedness, the palace of the gods.
- Malavoi - Savagery, creatures of the deep.
- Menlui - Water, life, torrential rain and thunder in the distant mountains.
- Minaith - Skill in arms, spirituality, the lost way.[5e]
- Mirai - "The Black Pit", the Elven Underworld.[3a]
- Nadrur - The Season of Storm, dwindling, sorrow.
- Nastirr - Path of the Soul, oblivion, remembrance.
- Nauglir - Druchii term for Cold Ones.
- Odri - Deception, Inner Truth, The Road Not Taken.
- Oriour - Blood, birth.[5e]
- Quul - The Tree of Life, regrowth, decay.
- Quyl-Isha - "Tears of Isha", sorry, mercy, endurance, the act of mourning for lost children.[5a]
- Qyl-Aman - The Symbol of Amanar, drake of the deeps.
- Rhana Dhandra - Final Battle of the Gods, the Elven apocalypse.[3a]
- Sarathai - The rune of the World Dragon, symbolising defiance, unyielding.
- Sariour - The moon, magic, fortune, evil deeds, destruction wrought by nature.
- Saroir - Eternity, infinity, the flame of love that burns all it touches.
- Sarumar - Temptation, fulfillment, discipline, the Watcher in the Dark.
- Sendai - Dedication, sacrifice, resentment.
- Senlui - Swiftness, accuracy.[5b]
- Senthoi - Unity, loyalty, broken promise.
- Sethai - Flight, wind, cry in the far mountains.[5a]
- Sevir - Wind, storm, the anger of the world.
- Skale - Guardian dragon, strength and honour.
- Tavlu - The tower, Mark of Hoeth, wisdom, misery.
- Thalui - Hatred or vengeance.
- Thanan - Hidden power, inner strength, indecisiveness.
- Thanlui - Injustice, necessity, the unbalanced scale.
- Tiroir - The broken tower, the world reborn.
- Tyloir - Broken lands, the Sundering, the cycle of history.
- Uraithen - "Deathrain", repeater crossbows used by Dark Elves.[6a]
- Urithair - Destruction, conquest, sacrifice of innocence.
- Varinor - Strength, fire, the Pride of Caledor.
- Varour - Aggression, lightning, downfall.
- Verdan - Woodland, continuity, defence.
- Volroth - Supremacy, royalty, heroic death.
- Yenlui - Balance, harmony and chaos.[5e]
- Yennla - The Seed, the promise of Isha.
- Ylvan - Pride, honour, imperfection.
- Ylvoir - Throne of Kings, guardianship, servitude.
- Yngra - Rescue, imprisonment.
- Ytha - Waves, swiftness, the hungry ocean.
- 1 Warhammer Fantasy RPG 2nd ED -- Realms of Sorcery
- 1a -- pg. 49
- 2 Warhammer Armies: Dark Elves (7th Edition)
- 2a -- pg. 27
- 3 Warhammer Armies: Dark Elves (8th Edition)
- 3a -- pg. 51
- 4 Warhammer Armies: High Elves (7th Edition)
- 4a -- pg. 23
- 5 Warhammer Armies: Wood Elves (6th Edition)
- 6 Warhammer Armies: Dark Elves (6th Edition)
- 7: Warhammer: Uniforms & Heraldry of the High Elves
- 7a: -- pg. 5
- 8: Warhammer Fantasy Rulebook (8th Edition)
- 8a: -- pg. 203