- "I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."
- —Imperial Soldier[3a]
Morathi the Hag Sorceress of Ghrond and First of the Hag Queens is the mother of Malekith and one-time consort of Aenarion, who rescued her from a warband of Slaanesh in the days of the first Chaos invasion before the Sundering. She is not only the lone Witch Elf allowed to use Dark Magic but is also one of the most powerful magic-users in the world of Warhammer, rivaling perhaps even Nagash, the Lords of Change, and Teclis of Ulthuan. She has struck daemonic pacts with many vile and disturbing forces, and can unleash the terrible power of Chaos upon those who displeases her.[2a]
- "Serve Ulthuan and you will be Phoenix King. Protect her from enemies outside and within and she will embrace you in return. Go into the north and learn of the race of men. Head into the chilling Wastes and confront the dark powers that hunger over our world. Then return to Ulthuan and take up your place as ruler, to shield us against their unnatural thirst. I fear that only you can protect us against the dangers I have foreseen. I see fire and bloodshed sweeping Ulthuan again. The colonies will burn and all that we hold dear will be cast upon the rocks and be for naught."
- —Morathi, speaking of Malekith's Destiny[4a]
Morathi's entire existence has been one of scheming and manipulation. Who knows how many of Aenarion's darker deeds sprang from seeds she planted within his mind, or how the history of the Elves might have been different if he had not taken her as his wife. Yet for all her beauty, she was ultimately spurned by the Phoenix King. Heartbroken, Morathi swore that if her husband could no longer rule the Elves, her son would do so in his place.[1a]
Since that day, Morathi has pursued that goal with supernatural determination. She has spent millennia teaching Malekith all she knows of statecraft and magic, and worked tirelessly to maintain his grip on Naggaroth's throne. Whenever the Witch King faltered, Morathi has always been ready to fan the embers of hatred in his heart; when he was betrayed, none have fought so hard as she to restore his rule. Morathi prefers to work behind the scenes, twisting events to her favour with a carefully chosen alliance or assassination, yet she is a terrifying force if roused to open conflict and can unleash the horrific powers of Chaos with barely a thought. She is capable of the most destructive magics possible, and there is little doubt that if Malekith is ever slain, she will use that knowledge to see the world destroyed rather than endure it in the hands of another.[1a]
- Heartrender (Magical Staff) - Such is Morathi's skill with the lance-like Heartrender that she can pluck a victim's heart from his chest with a single, well-placed blow.[1a]
- The Darksword: - A sword forced with spells of blinding and enfeeblement by an evil sorcerer. A foe struck by this weapon will be horribly weakened, even if he survives his wounds.[1a]
- 1: Warhammer Armies: Dark Elves (8th Edition)
- 1a: pg. 54
- 2: Warhammer Armies: Dark Elves (7th Edition)
- 2a: pg. 65
- 3: Warhammer Invasion Card
- 4: Warhammer Invasion Card
- 4a: Chapter Twenty-Eight: A King in Name Only