The Royarch is the King of Bretonnia, a Grail Knight of the Lady of the Lake, and a holy-warrior that embodies the very pinnacle of Justice and Chivalry. The Royarch is chosen from either a successor to the original Royal Blood-line or chosen by one of the twelve Dukes of the twelve Duchies. The first Royarch was the legendary warrior and uniter Gilles le Breton, who was crowned by the Fay Enchantress as the first Royarch and founder of the Kingdom of Bretonnia in 978 IC. The current Royarch, Louen Leoncoeur, was crowned in 2500 IC.
|Gilles le Breton||1-19 (978-997 IC)||Bastonne||First King of Bretonnia.|
|Louis the Rash||c. 23 (1001 IC)||Bastonne||Son of Gilles, the first Questing Knight.|
|Guillaume||c. 164 (1142 IC)||Possibly||Third King, his many deeds were made into the "Chanson of Guillaume"|
|Baudoin||c. 267 (1245 IC)||Bastonne||Slew the ferocious Dragon Mergaste.|
|Louis the Righteous||c. 470 (1448 IC)||Aquitaine||Brother of the infamous Red Duke, leader of the Crusades against Araby.|
|Jules||c. 600-610 (1578-1588 IC)||?||Took part in a great tourney against the Wood Elves of Athel Loren, defeating one of their lords in the joust.|
|Philippe the Strong||c. 657 (1635 IC)||Possibly||Defeated an army of raiders at the Battle of Castellet.|
|Louis the Brave||c. 1029 (2007 IC)||?||Slain in battle by the Chaos Lord Akrim, leader of the Skulltakers warband.|
|Louis the Young||c. 1029 (2007 IC)||?||Son of Louis the Brave, knighted Repanse de Lyonesse and made her Duchess of Lyonesse.|
|Louen Orc-Slayer||c. 1223 (2201 IC)||?||Declared an Errantry War against the Orcs.|
|Jules the Just||c. 1319 (2297 IC)||Gisoreux||Slain by a Chaos Champion, whom he also killed. His death led to the Affair of the False Grail.|
|Gaston de Beau Geste||c. 1319 (2297 IC)||?||Presided during the Affair of the False Grail.|
|Charlen||c. 1440 (2418 IC)||Couronne||Fought during the Siege of Couronne.|
|Theobald II||c. 1497 (2475 IC)||?||Enemy of the Lichemaster, died destroying his dark fortress.|
|Phillippe V||c. 1501-1510 (2479-2488 IC)||?||Ended Charlen's Errantry War.|
|Feramand||c. 1517 (2495 IC)||?||Continued to suppress the Lichemaster.|
|Louen Leoncoeur||1522 (2500-2521 IC)||Couronne||Ascended to godhood after his death during the End Times.|
|Gilles le Breton||1544 (2521 IC)||Couronne (unofficially)||Returned during the End Times.|
- Bellaume the Brave - ejected for unknown reasons by order of the Fay Enchantress.
- Louis the Bold - unknown time of rulership, known for his speech during the Battle of Death Pass.
- Jean le Bon - former king who hosted the great Tournament of Couronne, where the Fay Enchantress duelled with a male magic user.
- Charles VII - ruler at the time of the Battle of Elfincourt[1a]
- Louen Leoncoeur's Father - never mentioned by name.
- Maldred of Mousillon - Pretender to the Throne 1319 - 1322.
- The term Royarch was coined within the Bretonnian section of the End Times: Nagash book.
- Royarch appears to be a compound of the French Roi and the Greek Archon, which both translate as 'ruler'.
- Warhammer Armies: Bretonnia (5th Edition) -- p. 48, 78
- Warhammer: Knights of the Grail (FRP) -- p. 30 - 31
- End Times: Nagash -- p. 37 - 39
- 1: White Dwarf 233 (US)
- 1a: pg. 42